Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Viva Las Vegas

For breakfast this morning I decided to pay homage to my fellow Las Vegan, none other than the King himself, Elvis Presley of course. (Yes by the way, that is what you call a Vegas local, and no, it has nothing to do with the dietary restrictions; but I really want to start a vegan restaurant with that name!).

Legend has it that the King of Rock and Roll consumed an outrageous number of grilled peanut butter, honey, banana and bacon sandwiches. As you may recall, I finally got to try this interesting delicacy when I made a trip to Peanut Butter and Co. in New York City, and it was love at first bite.




However, because I have to go prance around in a leotard at noon for my Modern dance class, I made my Elvis special a little healthier this morning. I started out by frying turkey bacon in coconut oil, and toasting a whole wheat english muffin in some lovely (healthy) coconut oil as well. Then I slathered the modest muffin with super rich chunky peanut butter and golden syrup (instead of honey). Finally, I smushed it all together and gave it a little extra brown coat in a nice bacon fat clad pan.

I was missing bananas, but this was really delicious. It went very nicely with my caffeinated English Breakfast tea... but I am feeling a little full for dance class. At least I tried to make it healthy. It was a nice alternative to my all-time favorite salty-sweet breakfast sandwich, the Mc Griddle! Plus, they kind of look alike!

2 comments:

  1. Peanut butter bacon burger @ Yo Mama's in the Quarter. Even better than it sounds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooooh! when are you coming back to visit?!?! We have so many food adventures we need to go on!

    ReplyDelete