Friday, February 11, 2011

Valentine's Day Blues

To my dearest Bachelors and Bachelorettes,

I felt bad leaving out all my fellow single ladies and gents in my last post, so here's some tips if you're rollin solo this Valentine's Day. Even without a significant other, you can still celebrate the day of love. I too don't have a Valentine this year (and have to work on Monday night), but that doesn't mean I won't be joining in the fun!

First of all, aside from Sweethearts drug store aisles are filled with chocolate right now. There's no better way to forget that you're a third wheel than gorging yourself in Twix and Hershey's. If you're feeling extra adventurous on Cupid's holiday check out Vosge's Haut Chocolate. This fancy cocoa is sold at most whole foods and comes in all sorts of strange flavors, including my favorite, "Mo's Bacon Bar." It's a little strange, but definitely more interesting than M&M's... although the new pretzel variation is fantastic.

You can also always buy yourself a box of chocolates (which I've been doing the day after V-day for years now), but if that feels too pathetic I have a solution for you.
A great way to get your mind off your love life is keeping busy, so why not kill two birds with one stone and quench your cocoa craving at the same time? If you haven't guessed what I'm talking about yet, you must have never lived with me. You should bake of course! Whether it's brownies A La Mode, bread pudding, or frosted cupcakes as long as it's sweet and home baked it'll do the trick. I'm hoping to whip up some bacon cookies myself if I'm not too tired after work on Monday.

Finally, my last piece of advice is probably pretty obvious... and no it's not bacon (although bacon always helps, but I've already mentioned it too much this post), two words: ice cream. You can go for the classic bon bons and truly embrace your pathetic situation, or be a champ and dig into a pint of Ben and Jerry's. The best part is since you don't have a date you don't have to share!

I'd reccomend splurging a little and buying yourself some good quality gelato. Pistachio has always been my favorite, but my mind was recently blown to pieces when I tried King Cake gelato. If you live in New Orleans and you see this in a store BUY IT. IN BULK. I kid you not, it is incredible. Words can't come close to describing the perfection this gelato achieves. Eating this luscious ice cream out of the container was probably the most religious experience I've had in months. It's that good.

And if all else fails, DRINK. Screw it, it's one night, and you deserve it. It might be a Monday but you're single for god sakes, go wild. Plus, the Tuesday morning hangover might even help you drown out your friends stories about their romantic dates. Happy Valentine's Day. May you all express your love for food and drinks openly this holiday.

Love Always,

Your Secret Admirer


No comments:

Post a Comment