Friday, February 4, 2011

Happy Hour

In a town full of incredible drink specials, it's very hard to decide which bar to patron. The cheapest specials are on Tuesdays and Wednesdays, a clever way of getting people out on slow nights; but Friday is the winner for Happy Hour. Within an eight block radius of my house I have at least four unbelievable Friday Happy Hour specials. The closest, and most popular is The Boot where you can get a Triple for $3 or three long necks for only 5 bucks. Boot Happy Hour is a favorite among Tulane students and happens on Wednesday too, although it's mid-week version is fondly called "Hump-Day Happy Hour."The Boot on Urbanspoon

Phillips hosts the second most frequented Happy Hour nearby, Gay Happy Hour! $4 Martinis!!! My favorite is gin extra dirty, but I hear their cosmos and green apple martinis are mighty tasty. Phillips is conveniently located on Maple street, one block from "the four corners," the nickname for an intersection which literally has a bar on every corner. New Orleans is AWESOME.Phillips Bar & Restaurant on Urbanspoon

Out of the four, Bruno's Tavern is my favorite (and mostly for their food). They also have a happy hour special everyday (including friday) from 5 to 6 pm. Half priced appetizers, $2 cocktails, bottles, and drafts. Four words: Chicken Tenders + Debris Fries. So good it will make your stomach hurt. Bruno's Tavern on Urbanspoon



Finally, my favorite Happy Hour in the neighborhood is at Snake and Jakes, my favorite Dive Bar EVER. Housed in a dilapidated shed covered in Christmas lights, they are famous for their $1.50 Schlitz and Birthday Suit special. Rumor has it that if you go to Snakes butt naked you get to drink for free all night, and if you get shot there you get free drinks for life! Classy. I like Snakes Happy Hour for three reasons, 1. From 7-10 you get well drinks for $2.50 to help wash down the Schlitz. 2. No one ever goes there before 4 am (except for my house and a few other devoted fans), so it's amusing to be there in daylight. 3. It has become my version of Cheers, where everybody knows your name, and they're always glad you came.

A little farther down the streetcar line you can find the antithesis of Snakes, and that is Columns Happy Hour. From 5-7 this beautiful hotel cuts the price in half for their house wine, liquor and beer. This is the place to go if you want to meet law and med school students. I've only gone once, but I plan to go as soon as the weather is nicer.The Columns Hotel on Urbanspoon


Outside of the Garden District there are many more Friday specials, but my favorite is Happy Hour at the American Sector. Of course, I am a little biased because American Sector is a Besh restaurant, part of the same family of restaurants that I work at, but it is really delightful. The Sector has Happy Hour everyday from 3-6, featuring half priced beverages and 75 cent barbeque sliders! And the food is just soooo good!!!!








The deep fried chicken gizzards are my absolute favorite, but unfortunately I only have pictures of other tasty dishes, including the Bacon Cupcake!!! Here is some eye candy to help convince you how awesome the food is in case I wasn't convincing enough.The American Sector on Urbanspoon



3 comments:

  1. I totally want to go to American Sector happy hr with you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to be in New Orleans for Valentine's Day weekend, and American Sector sliders are totally on my to-do list.

    Also props for talking about Snake and Jakes. It's really the best bar in the world. The red lights are so soothing in the late night hours. Also, I love the Crawfest stickers everywhere. I've been meaning to go there during daylight hours but I've always been a little scared.

    ReplyDelete